A healthy recipe for a sweet treat.
- 3 cups shelled, raw walnuts
- 3 tbsp rice bran oil
- 3 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180℃.
- Put the caramel ingredients into a large saucepan.
- Bring them to a rolling boil then simmer for 1-2 minutes. (If you cook this mixture too long the oil and syrup will start to separate.)
- Remove saucepan from the heat and add all the walnuts.
- Stir very well to coat the walnuts with the hot, sticky mixture.
- Tip onto an oven tray, and scrape all the leftover caramel over the nuts.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then stir the nuts well to coat them again.
- Cook a further 5 minutes
- Remove from oven and scrape onto another tray to cool. Clean the caramel off the tray immediately (or it will harden and become difficult to clean.)
- Once cool, keep the nuts in an airtight jar.
Brown rice syrup is a fructose-free sugar alternative, which makes this recipe ideal for those who are eating a low-sugar diet.
Substitute maple syrup for the brown rice syrup for a sweeter caramel.
Substitute popped corn for walnuts to make this recipe nut-free.